News & Views
Scholarship opportunity for women in aquaculture
By Liza Mayer
Asian women seeking a postgraduate degree in aquaculture can now apply for scholarship under a unique program offered by the University of Stirling in Scotland.
The university has partnered with the British Council to launch a program that will be provided within the University of Stirling’s Institute of Aquaculture. The scholarship targets women from South East Asia who can demonstrate their need for financial support and “who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in the aquaculture industry,” according to a release from the university.
To be eligible for this scholarship the applicant must:
- Be female (cis-gendered or trans) or identify as non-binary;
- Be a passport holder and permanent resident of one of the following countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam;
- Have applied and received an offer to study at one of the following degrees at the University of Stirling by the time of application submission and be due to start a degree in: MSc Sustainable Aquaculture, MSc Aquatic Pathobiology, or MSc Aquatic Veterinary Studies.
Applicants also need to:
- Have completed an undergraduate degree that will allow the applicant to meet the academic requirements of one of the eligible degrees listed above, before the application is submitted;
- Have not previously studied at degree or higher level in the U.K. or recently lived in the U.K.;
- Be able to take the degree in the academic year from Sept 2021 – 2022;
- Meet the English language requirements for the course (IELTS 6.5 with no element less than 6.0, or equivalent, or expect to meet the requirement after undertaking one of the pre-sessional English language courses at the University of Stirling);
- Demonstrate a need for financial support;
- Agree to return to the applicant’s country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after the scholarship award has ended.
The scholarship covers the full costs associated with studying at the University of Stirling, including tuition, living costs, travel costs, equipment and study costs.
Applicants are required to complete the application form and send it to the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon (GMT) on March 24.